- 450 gm podded broad beans (about 1½kg unpodded)
- 200 ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 white onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 100 gm jamón serrano, diced into 1cm squares
- 1Blanch broad beans in boiling salted water (10-15 seconds), drain and refresh in iced water, drain again and peel.
- 2Cook oil, onion and garlic in a saucepan over low heat, stirring occasionally, until transparent (20-25 minutes). Add jamón, cook until fat renders (8-10 minutes), increase heat to medium, add beans, stir to coat, season to taste and serve immediately.
Drink Suggestion: Try the re-released 1994 Best’s Great Western Riesling, Victoria, or a six- to eight-year-old Clare riesling. Drink suggestion by Lok Thornton