- 4 zucchini, cut lengthways into 3mm-thick slices
- ¼ cup (loosely packed) each dill sprigs and coarsely torn flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tbsp basil cress
- 50 ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 30 ml lemon juice, or to taste
- 50 gm Greek feta, coarsely crumbled
- 10 gm pure icing sugar, sieved
- 70 gm caster sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced on a mandolin
- 1For candied feta, preheat oven to 80C or lowest setting. Combine ingredients in a bowl, toss to coat, spread on an oven tray lined with baking paper and bake until dried (1½-2 hours), then cool completely.
- 2For candied garlic, stir sugar and 30ml water in a small saucepan over medium-high heat, bring to the boil, then set aside to cool. Meanwhile, blanch garlic in a saucepan of boiling water 10 times, changing water each time, then drain. Add to sugar syrup, stir to coat, drain and place on an oven tray lined with baking paper. Bake until dried and crisp (1-1¼ hours), then set aside.
- 3Preheat a char-grill pan over high heat. Brush zucchini lightly with olive oil and char-grill, turning once, until tender and golden (2-3 minutes each side), then cool to room temperature. Transfer to a bowl, add herbs, extra-virgin olive oil, lemon juice, candied feta and candied garlic, season to taste, toss to combine and serve.
This recipe is from the August 2011 issue of .