"We have great fun with staff meals at Pinbone. We like to experiment and make different things all the time," says Mike Eggert. "Our chicken burger is a staff favourite though, and gets requested often. We love it so much we thought we should put it on as a special one Sunday, and we haven't been able to take it off since." Start this recipe a day ahead to marinate the chicken.
- 250 ml (1 cup) buttermilk
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 6 boneless chicken thigh fillets, skin removed
- 150 gm (1 cup) cornflour
- 200 gm (1 cup) rice flour
- For deep-frying: vegetable oil
- 6 burger buns, halved, toasted
- To serve: mayonnaise
- 3 Roma tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 3 large pickled gherkins, thinly sliced
- 6 cheese slices, such as cheddar
- 1 small green oak lettuce, leaves separated
- To serve: barbecue or hot sauce
- To serve: crisps or French fries (optional)
- 1Combine buttermilk, sugar and 1 tbsp salt in a large bowl, and stir well. Add chicken thighs, making sure they’re covered and refrigerate to marinate (at least 4 hours or overnight).
- 2Combine flours in a large bowl and season to taste. Drain chicken from buttermilk and toss in flour mixture to coat well.
- 3Heat oil in a deep-fryer or deep saucepan to 160C. Shake off excess flour from chicken and deep-fry, turning occasionally, until golden and cooked through (5-7 minutes; be careful as hot oil will spit). Drain chicken on paper towels.
- 4Spread a generous amount of mayonnaise on the bottom half of each burger bun, then top with tomato slices, lettuce, pickles, chicken, then a slice of cheese. To finish, spread your sauce of choice on the top half of each bun and place on top. Serve with crisps or hot chips.
Drink Suggestion: A cool, crisp Emu Export straight from the can. Drink suggestion by Berri Eggert