"The Chiko Roll was a total icon for chicken shops," says Liston. "We wanted to put a spin on it to make it more fun. We make the roll base mix then coat it in panko crumbs – the crumb resembles the pastry of the OG roll but it's not as chewy – then we wrap it in lettuce and Chinatown herbs so it becomes a cross between a Chiko Roll and spring roll."
- 75 gm (½ cup) plain flour
- 6 eggs, lightly beaten
- 150 gm (2 cups) panko crumbs
- Vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- Iceberg lettuce leaves, to serve
- Coriander, to serve
- 500 gm minced chicken
- 50 gm white cabbage, finely chopped
- 50 gm corn kernels (from about ⅓ corn cob)
- 25 gm celery (about ⅓ stalk), finely chopped
- 20 gm (2 tbsp) finely chopped onion
- 20 gm carrot (about ¼ small carrot), finely chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 70 ml white vinegar
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 long red chilli, thinly sliced, plus extra to serve
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1For chicken mixture, place ingredients in a bowl with 2½ tsp salt and pepper to taste. Mix with your hands until combined, then lift chicken mixture out of the bowl and throw it back in, slapping it against the side of the bowl and repeating until mixture is thoroughly combined and firm. Turn out onto an oven trayand spread to a 2cm-thick 18cm square. Freeze until firm (2 hours). Cut into finger-length sticks (about 2.5cm x 9cm) and return to freezer until frozen.
- 2Place flour, egg and panko crumbs into separate bowls. Coat chicken sticks in flour, shaking off excess, then egg, then crumbs, and then again in egg and crumbs. Transfer to an oven tray lined with baking paper and refrigerate until defrosted (1-2 hours).
- 3For dipping sauce, stir ingredients in a bowl until sugar has dissolved. Leave to infuse (20 minutes).
- 4Preheat oil to 180°C in a deep saucepan. Deep-fry chicken sticks in batches until golden brown (3-5 minutes; be careful, hot oil will spit). Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Serve Chick-o-rolls wrapped in lettuce cups with coriander and chilli and with dipping sauce on the side.