- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ white onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 125 gm (1½ cups) fine fresh breadcrumbs from crusty sourdough bread
- 375 gm canned tuna in oil, drained (see note)
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) milk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tbsp coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 12 bella rosso, tops removed, seeds and membrane discarded (see note)
- 40 gm butter, melted
- To serve: extra-virgin olive oil
- 1Preheat oven to 180C. Heat olive oil in a small saucepan over medium heat, add onion and garlic, stir occasionally until transparent (3-5 minutes). Remove from heat and cool.
- 2Combine two-thirds of the breadcrumbs with tuna, milk, eggs, parsley, lemon juice and onion mixture in a bowl, season to taste and divide evenly among capsicum.
- 3Combine melted butter with remaining breadcrumbs and sprinkle over capsicum, then roast until golden (12-15 minutes). Serve with a drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil.
Note Use a good-quality canned tuna. Eugenio recommends an Italian brand, such as Callipo. Bella rosso (baby capsicum) are available from select supermarkets. You can substitute small capsicum that have been blanched and halved.
Drink Suggestion: The dry and spicy Catarratto from Sicily. Drink suggestion by Glen Davis