Greenhouse buys grain from Eden Valley Biodynamic Farm in WA’s wheat belt, which grows an old strain of barley known as naked barley. The earthy sweetness from the barley and the honey makes for a refreshing spring punch.
- 165 gm pearl barley (¾ cup)
- 180 gm honey (½ cup)
- Zested rind and juice of 4 lemons
- 9 rosemary sprigs
- 240 ml gin
- 1 punnet raspberries, coarsely crushed
- To taste: caster sugar
- To serve: ice
- To serve: 750 ml sparkling wine
- 1Place pearl barley in a fine sieve and rinse under cold running water until water runs clear (2-3 minutes). Transfer to a saucepan, add honey, rind, juice, 1 rosemary spring and 1.2 litres filtered water and bring to the simmer over medium heat, then simmer until infused (30 minutes). Cool to room temperature, refrigerate until chilled (1-1½ hours), then strain through a fine sieve into a large jug. Add gin and raspberries, adjust sweetness to taste with sugar, then serve over ice in tall glasses, topped up with sparkling wine and extra rosemary sprigs.
This recipe is from the September 2010 issue of .