- For deep-frying: vegetable oil
- 340 gm (2 cups) masa harina (see note)
- 75 gm (½ cup) plain flour
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 4 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 375 ml (1½ cups) well-shaken buttermilk
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tbsp Southern-style hot sauce
- 250 gm salted butter, softened
- 45 ml maple syrup
- 1 tsp sea salt flakes
- 1For maple butter, beat ingredients in a bowl to combine and refrigerate until required. Bring to room temperature before using. Maple butter will keep refrigerated for a week.
- 2Heat oil in a deep-fryer to 180C. Combine dry ingredients, spring onions and 1 tsp sea salt in a large bowl, add wet ingredients and stir until smooth and well combined. Using 2 dessertspoons, scoop out spoonfuls of mixture and carefully transfer to hot oil, using one spoon to push the mixture off the other. Cook in batches, turning occasionally, until puffed, golden and cooked through (3-4 minutes). Drain on paper towels, season to taste and serve hot with maple butter.
Note Masa harina is available at Latin American grocers and select delicatessens. Polenta ground very finely in a blender also works.