"This dish is one of our best-sellers," says Jacqui Challinor, executive chef at Sydney's Nomad. "I've considered taking it off the menu a few times, but I just can't bring myself to do it. It's light and fresh, with an amazing pop of citrus from the finger lime."
- 2 rounds pita bread
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 150 gm sashimi-grade (hiramasa) kingfish, bones and skin removed
- 1 finger lime, pearls removed
- 1 long red chilli, half the seeds discarded, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp finely chopped coriander
- 2 tbsp finely chopped chives
- 1 golden shallot, finely chopped
- Bronze fennel and chervil sprigs, picked and washed, and edible flowers (such as society garlic, nasturtium, native violets), to serve
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp milk
- 80 ml (⅓ cup) canola oil
- 1 small garlic clove, finely grated
- 100 ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 50 ml lemon juice
- 3 tsp chardonnay vinegar
- ¼ tsp white sugar
- ½ avocado
- 1 tbsp milk
- 2 tsp lime juice
- 1For garlic chips, combine garlic and milk in a small bowl. Place in the fridge to soak to remove any bitterness (3 hours). Rinse, drain and pat dry with paper towel. Heat canola oil in a small frying pan over low-medium heat. Add garlic and cook, watching carefully so it doesn't burn, until golden and crisp (1½ minutes). Drain on paper towel.
- 2Meanwhile, preheat oven to 200°C. Place pita breads on a large oven tray and drizzle with olive oil. Bake until golden and crisp (4 minutes). Cool.
- 3For dressing, whisk all ingredients in a bowl until combined. Season to taste.
- 4For avocado purée, process avocado, milk and lime juice in a small food processor until smooth. Season to taste. Transfer to a bowl and cover surface closely with plastic wrap to prevent browning.
- 5Cut kingfish into 1cm cubes, then combine in a bowl with finger lime pearls, chilli, coriander, chives, shallot and enough dressing to liberally coat the fish. Mix well and season to taste.
- 6To serve, spoon kingfish mixture onto a serving plate and dot with small spoonfuls of avocado purée. Scatter with garlic chips, bronze fennel, chervil and edible flowers, and serve with crisp pita bread.