Shown bottom left with <a href="/spiced_almonds.htm">spiced almonds</a>.
- 500 gm mixed olives (see note)
- 75 ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 1½ long red chillies, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 30 ml orange juice
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- ¼ each finely grated rind of orange and lemon
- 1 fennel bulb, fronds only
- 1 sprig each of rosemary and thyme
- 10 gm fennel seeds, lightly roasted
- 1Rinse olives of brine under cold running water. Drain well, then combine with remaining ingredients and season to taste with sea salt, transfer to an airtight container and marinate in refrigerator for at least 24 hours. Olives will keep refrigerated for up to 2 weeks.
You’ll need to begin this recipe a day ahead. Dan Hunter uses Mount Zero manzanilla and wild Kalamata olives but you can use any.
Drink Suggestion: Try a Sánchez Romate Palo Cortado or a dry or rosé Champagne. Drink suggestion by Lok Thornton