Mulling your own apple juice, as Mathew Hewitt does at Brisbane’s The Bowery, gives this drink a real boost, but it’s pretty darn tasty with a good apple juice straight from the fridge, too.
- 50 ml Appleton Estate V/X Jamaican Rum
- 5 ml sugar syrup (see note)
- 2 dashes Angostura bitters
- 20 ml mulled apple juice (see note)
- To garnish: orange peel and cinnamon quill
- 1Add rum, syrup, bitters and 15ml still water to a chilled tumbler. Stir 10-15 times, add apple juice and stir 5 or so more times. Garnish and serve.
For sugar syrup, combine equal parts sugar and water, bring to the boil, then cool completely and refrigerate for up to a year. For mulled apple juice, add a litre of apple juice, a slice each of lemon and orange, a scattering of orange zest and a small knob of fresh ginger, grated, a few cloves, a dusting of nutmeg and a cinnamon quill to a saucepan and simmer gently for 30 minutes. Strain and cool. It will keep refrigerated for up to a week, and is best made the day before you intend to use it.