"This was inspired many moons ago by a wonderful Korean raw beef dish. It's got great textures - the softness of the tuna and crunch from the cabbage, green onion and pine nuts." - Neil Perry
- 360 gm piece of yellowfin tuna fillet, cut into 5mm x 2cm fingers
- 160 gm Chinese cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 small carrot, cut into julienne
- 2 green onions, cut into julienne
- 1 cup (firmly packed) coriander sprigs
- 20 gm pine nuts, toasted
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- 6 egg yolks from 55gm eggs
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely grated
- 3 cm piece of ginger, finely grated
- 80 ml sesame oil (1/3 cup)
- 1½ tbsp Japanese soy sauce (shoyu)
- 1 tbsp Chinese sesame paste (see note)
- 3½ tsp rice wine vinegar
- 3½ tsp caster sugar
- 1For sesame dressing, process ingredients in a blender until smooth. Season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground white pepper. Makes about 2/3 cup.
- 2Combine tuna, cabbage, carrot, green onion, coriander, pine nuts and half the sesame seeds, add dressing and mix well.
- 3Divide mixture into 6, and using a 6cm-diameter ring as a mould, shape each into a cylinder. Indent centre and place a yolk in each indent. Scatter with remaining sesame seeds, finish with a grind of pepper and serve.
Note Rockpool uses Pun Chun Sesame Paste, available from Asian grocers.