- 3 large Desiree potatoes (about 750gm)
- 50 gm melted butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 large white onions, thinly sliced
- 100 gm Comté, finely grated
- To serve: crisp bacon
- 1Steam unpeeled potatoes over a saucepan of boiling water until tender when pricked with a knife or skewer (40-50 minutes). Set aside until cool enough to handle, then peel and coarsely grate into a bowl, season to taste, add melted butter and mix well. Set aside.
- 2Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat, add onions and cook covered, stirring occasionally, until caramelised (40-50 minutes), season to taste and set aside.
- 3Preheat oven to 120C. Heat a waffle iron to high, spray well with cooking oil spray, then spoon a quarter of the potato mixture into the iron and spread to 1.5cm thick. Close and cook until potato is golden and crunchy (7-10 minutes). Keep waffle warm in oven on a baking tray lined with baking paper and repeat with remaining potato. Serve waffles warm topped with caramelised onions, grated Comté and crisp.
Drink Suggestion: A refreshing watermelon and mint juice (spiked with vodka for those ready to get back on the drinking train) or a bottle of Jean-Yves Péron Côtillon des Dames if you're settling in for a long lunch with friends. Drink suggestion by Berri Eggert