"Our star behind the bar is Joseph Demoz – this is his twist on a classic Spritz," says Brigitte Hafner of Tedesca Osteria.
- 45 ml gin
- 75 ml sparkling white wine
- ¼ tsp rosewater, or to taste
- Large ice cubes, to serve
- Cold soda water, to serve
- 110 gm caster sugar
- ½ bunch rosemary, plus extra to serve
- 125 ml (½ cup) white wine vinegar
- 1To make rosemary shrub, combine sugar and 100ml water in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir until sugar dissolves (1-2 minutes); set aside to cool completely. Heat a large frying pan over medium-low heat, add rosemary and roast in pan, turning frequently, until fragrant (1 minute). Transfer rosemary to a medium saucepan with sugar syrup and vinegar. Bring to the boil, then reduce heat to medium and simmer for 15 minutes. Set aside to cool before using. Makes 225ml.
- 2To serve, pour gin and 1 tbsp rosemary shrub into your favourite wine glass. Three-quarter fill the glass with ice cubes then top up with sparkling wine followed by soda water and rosewater. Swizzle then garnish with a sprig of rosemary.
Shrub will keep for up to 1 month refrigerated in an airtight container.