“This semifreddo is light, versatile, refreshing and so simple to make. The recipe can be adapted to suit your taste with the addition of extra fruit and nuts.” You’ll need to begin this recipe a day ahead. Maurizio Di Ciano, Maurizio Restaurant, Perth, WA
- 4 eggs, separated
- 100 gm caster sugar
- 200 gm mascarpone
- 30 ml Jannamico Super Punch liqueur (see note), plus extra to serve
- ½ tsp lemon juice
- 130 gm amaretti biscuits, coarsely crushed, plus extra to serve
- To serve: roast almonds, coarsely chopped
- 1Whisk yolks and sugar in an electric mixer until thick and fluffy (5-6 minutes), transfer to a large bowl, stir through mascarpone and Super Punch
- 2Whisk eggwhites, lemon juice and a pinch of salt in an electric mixer until stiff peaks form (2-3 minutes). Fold in mascarpone mixture and crushed amaretti, then freeze in a 1-litre container until firm (overnight). Serve scoops of semifreddo with extra crushed amaretti and almonds, drizzled with extra Super Punch.
Super Punch, an Italian liqueur sometimes described as tasting like liquid fruit cake, is available from select bottle shops. If unavailable, substitute amaretto liqueur.
This recipe is from the May 2011 issue of