"This is one of the best ways to enjoy freshly podded peas at the height of their season," says Luke Burgess. "For an extra hit of freshness you can fold torn mint leaves through the peas just before serving." Begin this recipe a day ahead to infuse the oil.
- 600 gm freshly podded peas (about 1kg unpodded)
- 150 gm smoked lardo, finely diced (see note)
Lemon thyme oil
- 100 ml grapeseed oil
- 1 cup (loosely packed) lemon thyme
- 2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 10 gm raw honey
- 1For lemon thyme oil, warm oil in a saucepan over low heat to 50C (20-30 seconds). Add lemon thyme, cover and leave to infuse overnight. Transfer to a blender, add extra-virgin olive oil, honey and ½ tsp salt and blend on high speed for 1 minute. Pass through a fine sieve without pressing on solids and refrigerate until required.
- 2Blanch peas until tender and bright green (2-3 minutes), then drain. Gently warm pork fat in a frying pan over low heat until translucent (2-4 minutes), add peas and thyme oil and toss to combine. Season with freshly ground black pepper and serve warm.
Note Smoked lardo may need to be ordered ahead from a specialist butcher, or substitute speck.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesCitrus-cured salmon with horseradish cream and bagelsYesterday 11:00pm
- Fast RecipesChar-grilled capsicum salad with sherry vinaigretteYesterday 11:00pm