While we await summer's tomato harvest, this springtime bruschetta puts the fresh flavours of the season to good use. Slather your toasted sourdough with spiced butter beans and artichokes, thinly sliced fennel and cucumbers, plus pomegranate and herbs. Good for lunches and light dinners.
- 400 gm can butter beans, drained, unrinsed
- 2 x 230gm jars artichoke hearts in oil, drained
- 80 ml (⅓ cup) extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 1 tsp finely grated lemon rind
- 2½ tbsp lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 8 thick slices sourdough
- 1 cup small mint leaves
- 6 baby cucumbers (qukes) (180gm), peeled into ribbons
- 1 small fennel bulb, shaved, fronds reserved
- 50 gm (⅓ cup) pomegranate seeds
- 1Preheat a chargrill pan over high heat.
- 2Process butter beans, 1 cup of the artichokes, 60ml (¼ cup) of the oil, tahini, lemon rind, 2 tbsp of the lemon juice, garlic and cumin until well combined. Season to taste.
- 3Brush bread with remaining oil. Grill each side until grill marks appear (2 minutes).
- 4Combine remaining torn artichokes, mint, cucumber, fennel and pomegranate seeds with remaining lemon juice in a small bowl; toss to combine. Spread ¼ cup artichoke mixture onto each bruschetta, then top with salad and reserved fennel fronds. Serve immediately.