- 220 gm caster sugar (1 cup)
- 6 cloves
- 2 green cardamom pods, bruised
- 1 stick of cinnamon
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthways
- 650 gm trimmed rhubarb stems (about 1 bunch), cut into 5-6cm lengths
- 8 paradise pears, halved and cored with a melon baller (350gm)
- 1 pomegranate, halved and seeds removed
- 4 green or black figs
- 80 gm pistachios
- 1Place sugar, 2 cups water, spices, lemon juice, scraped seeds from vanilla bean and bean in a saucepan and stir over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil, add rhubarb, cover with a disc of baking paper, and simmer gently over low-medium heat for 5 minutes or until tender and rhubarb is still holding its shape, then, using a slotted spoon, transfer to a bowl.
- 2Add pears to syrup and cook, covered with paper, for 10 minutes or until tender. Return rhubarb to syrup with pears, add pomegranate seeds and cool, then cover and refrigerate until chilled.
- 3Just before serving, quarter figs and add to fruit salad, divide among bowls and serve scattered with pistachios, with yoghurt passed separately.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- DestinationsMade in India: the designers and makers of BengaluruYesterday 4:59am