Bacon and eggs needn't be restricted to breakfast or brunch. Pair the classic combo with miso and maple syrup in a rice bowl for a fast weeknight dinner. For a touch of spice, scatter with a little shichimi togarashi or fresh chilli to serve.
- 80 ml (⅓ cup) rice wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp shiro (white) miso paste
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 400 gm (2 cups) brown rice
- 2 tbsp grapeseed oil or other neutral oil
- 8 streaky bacon rashers
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 spring onion, thinly sliced
- Torn nori and roasted sesame seeds, to serve
- 1Whisk vinegar, shiro miso, soy sauce, maple syrup and sesame oil in bowl to combine.
- 2Cook rice in a large saucepan of boiling salted water until tender (20-22 minutes). Drain, then transfer to a large bowl. Add dressing, season to taste and toss to combine. Keep warm.
- 3Meanwhile, heat half the grapeseed oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add bacon and fry, turning once, until golden and slightly crisp (1-2 minutes). Drain on paper towels and keep warm. Wipe out pan with paper towels.
- 4Heat remaining oil in pan over medium heat, add eggs and fry until base is crisp and yolk is cooked to your liking (2-3 minutes for soft yolks).
- 5To serve, divide rice among bowls, top with eggs, bacon, spring onion, torn nori and roasted sesame seeds.