This classic recipe shows that when you have simple, great ingredients, you don't have to do much to them. Take a creamy, top-quality chèvre, such as one from Meredith Dairy, bake till it's golden then pair it with spicy tomato relish and bitter leaves, or a fresh tomato salad, for a great balance of flavours.
- 1 tbsp coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 35 gm (½ cup) panko crumbs or other breadcrumbs
- 400 gm chèvre log (see note), cut into 4 pieces
- 1 egg, beaten
- Toasted sourdough and spicy tomato relish, to serve
- Frisée and watercress dressed with lemon juice and extra-virgin olive oil, to serve
- 1Preheat oven to 220ºC. Combine parsley and panko crumbs in a bowl. Dip chèvre in egg, then in crumb mixture, shaking off excess. Bake on an oven tray lined with baking paper until golden brown (10-15 minutes).
- 2Serve chèvre on toasted sourdough with spicy tomato relish and a frisée and watercress salad.
Chèvre is available from supermarkets, delicatessens and cheese shops.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesHam and cheese toasties with quick-pickled cucumberYesterday 3:00am