This recipe makes use of beetroot tops, gorgeous winter greens that are usually discarded. If you don't have beetroot tops, use another winter green such as spinach or cavolo nero.
- 40 gm butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 180 gm pearl barley
- 500 ml (2 cups) chicken stock
- 40 gm (¼ cup) dried currants
- 1Heat butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat, add onion and stir occasionally until tender (3-5 minutes). Add garlic stir to combine, add barley, stir again, then add stock and simmer covered until barley is tender (25 minutes), adding beetroot greens and currants in the last 5 minutes of cooking.
- 2Serve barley scattered with parmesan.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- DestinationsMade in India: the designers and makers of BengaluruYesterday 4:59am