If you need to get a meal on the table quick-smart, use organic brown rice as we have here – it cooks far more quickly than ordinary brown rice.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 6 rainbow silverbeet stalks, leaves coarsely torn, stalks thinly sliced, reserve separately
- 1 leek, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- ½ tsp dried chilli flakes
- 220 gm organic brown rice
- 1.25 litres (5 cups) chicken stock, warmed
- 1/3 cup each coarsely chopped oregano and flat-leaf parsley, plus extra to serve
- 4 eggs, at room temperature
- 120 gm Greek feta, coarsely crumbled
- 1Heat olive oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat, add silverbeet stalks, leek, garlic, fennel seeds, chilli and lemon rind, season to taste and stir occasionally until leek is tender (4-5 minutes). Add rice, stir to coat, then add hot stock, cover with a lid and bring to the boil. Remove lid, reduce heat to medium and simmer until rice is just tender (12-15 minutes). Add silverbeet leaves and herbs, stir until leaves are wilted, then stir in lemon juice, season to taste and set aside.
- 2Meanwhile, soft-boil eggs in a saucepan of boiling water (6 minutes), drain, quickly peel under cold running water and tear in half.
- 3Divide silverbeet mixture among bowls, scatter with feta and extra herbs, top with egg, drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil, season to taste and serve hot with bread.