- 800 gm sweet potato, coarsely chopped
- 400 gm canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained well
- 35 gm plain flour (¼ cup)
- 1½ tsp each ground cumin and ground coriander
- ½ tsp ground cardamom
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, peeled and coarsely grated
- 140 gm thick natural yoghurt (½ cup)
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
Bean and mint salad
- 400 gm baby green beans, thinly sliced diagonally
- 1 cup round mint leaves (loosely packed)
- 50 gm sprouts, such as broccoli or snow pea sprouts
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1Cook sweet potato in boiling salted water for 10 minutes or until tender. Drain well. Using
a potato ricer or masher, mash until smooth, add chickpeas, flour and spices and season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Mould ¼-cupfuls of potato mixture into rounds and place on a tray. Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat and cook cakes (flattening slightly with a spatula) for 3 minutes on each side or until
golden. Keep warm.
- 2For raita, combine ingredients and season to taste.
- 3For bean and mint salad, blanch beans in boiling salted water. Drain well and place in
a bowl. Add mint and sprouts, drizzle with oil and lemon juice and season to taste. Serve cakes with raita and bean and mint salad.