- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tsp fennel seeds, coarsely ground
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra, for drizzling
- ¼ tsp dried chilli flakes
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded and finely chopped
- 1½ tsp fine sea salt
- 400 ml dry white wine
- 500 gm clams (vongole), soaked in salted water for 1 hour, rinsed well
- 1 kg mussels, scrubbed, bearded and rinsed
- 2 tbsp aged red wine vinegar
- To serve: toasted sourdough bread, drizzled with extra-virgin olive oil
- 1Place garlic, fennel seeds and parsley in a mortar, and, using a pestle, pound to a fine paste.
- 2Heat olive oil in a heavy-based casserole, add garlic paste and cook over medium heat for 2-3 minutes or until fragrant. Add chilli, tomatoes, sea salt and wine and bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to low and cook for another 5 minutes or until tomatoes are soft. Add clams and mussels and cook, covered, for another 5-8 minutes or until shellfish just open, stir in vinegar and season to taste. Serve immediately, with toast passed separately.
Drink Suggestion: Full-bodied white from Soave or viognier from Eden Valley. Drink suggestion by Andy Harris