It's a quick and easy vegetarian recipe but no, it's not a salad. This dish has serious heft – a base of couscous and lentils, golden haloumi, plus spiced apricots for colour and brightness. The drizzle of honey is the final touch that binds it all together.
- 300 gm wholemeal couscous
- 400 gm canned brown lentils, rinsed and drained
- Finely grated zest and juice of 2 lemons
- 80 ml (⅓ cup) olive oil
- 50 gm sunflower seeds, lightly toasted
- ¼ cup (firmly packed) mint, plus extra to serve
- 140 gm Greek-style yoghurt
- 400 gm haloumi, sliced
- 4 ripe apricots, cut into halves and wedges
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp chilli flakes
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1Combine couscous and 300ml boiling water in a heatproof bowl. Cover and set aside until water is absorbed (3 minutes), then fluff with a fork and season to taste with salt and pepper. Add lentils, half the lemon zest and juice, 1 tbsp oil, seeds and mint and toss gently to combine.
- 2Combine yoghurt and remaining zest and juice in a bowl and season to taste.
- 3Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat and cook haloumi until golden (1-2 minutes each side). Transfer to a plate and cover to keep warm. Heat 2 tbsp oil in same pan over medium-high heat and add apricots and cook, tossing occasionally, until just starting to caramelise (1-2 minutes). Add cumin, chilli and honey and cook until golden and fragrant (2 minutes). Serve couscous topped with apricot mixture, haloumi, lemon yoghurt and extra mint.