This is probably one of the quickest desserts to make and a guaranteed crowd-pleaser. If you're in a rush, drop the candied hazelnuts and add grated coffee beans on top instead.
- 75 gm hazelnuts
- 40 gm caster sugar
- 60 ml vodka (¼ cup)
- 60 ml coffee liqueur (¼ cup)
- 60 ml espresso coffee (¼ cup)
- Hazelnut gelato, to serve
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C. Spread hazelnuts on an oven tray and roast until fragrant (5-6 minutes), then tip into a tea towel and rub the skins off.
- 2Heat a frying pan over medium heat, add hazelnuts, then gradually scatter sugar over, mixing continuously, until sugar caramelises and coats the nuts (2-3 minutes). Transfer to a tray lined with baking paper to cool, then coarsely chop.
- 3Shake vodka, coffee liqueur and espresso in a cocktail shaker with ice to chill.
- 4Place scoops of gelato in chilled glasses, pour espresso mixture on top, scatter with candied hazelnuts and serve.