Fried chicken, soft bread, pickles, crisp lettuce and smoky, garlicky mayo. A simple combination that yields outstanding results.
- 4 skinless chicken thigh fillets
- 250 ml (1 cup) well-shaken buttermilk
- 150 gm Japanese mayonnaise (see note)
- ½ garlic clove, finely grated
- 3 tsp smoked paprika
- 150 gm (1 cup) plain flour
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- Vegetable oil, for shallow-frying
- 4 soft burger buns, halved
- Baby cos lettuce leaves and bread-and-butter pickles, to serve
- 1Combine chicken and buttermilk in a bowl, tossing to coat, then season with salt and set aside to marinate for 10 minutes.
- 2Meanwhile, combine mayonnaise, garlic and 1 tsp paprika in a small bowl, season to taste and chill until needed. Combine flour, onion powder, baking powder and remaining paprika in a bowl and season to taste.
- 3Heat 2cm oil to 180°C in a large deep saucepan. Drain chicken, then dust heavily in flour mixture, shaking off excess. Deep-fry, turning occasionally, until golden and cooked through (4-6 minutes; be careful, hot oil may spit). Remove with a slotted spoon and transfer to a wire rack over an oven tray to drain briefly.
- 4Spread mayonnaise on bases of rolls and top with cos, chicken, more mayonnaise and pickles. Sandwich with tops and serve.
Japanese mayonnaise is available from Asian grocers and select supermarkets.