Fried chicken, soft bread, pickles, crisp lettuce and smoky, garlicky mayo. A simple combination that yields outstanding results.
- 4 skinless chicken thigh fillets
- 250 ml (1 cup) well-shaken buttermilk
- 150 gm Japanese mayonnaise (see note)
- ½ garlic clove, finely grated
- 3 tsp smoked paprika
- 150 gm (1 cup) plain flour
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- Vegetable oil, for shallow-frying
- 4 soft burger buns, halved
- Baby cos lettuce leaves and bread-and-butter pickles, to serve
- 1Combine chicken and buttermilk in a bowl, tossing to coat, then season with salt and set aside to marinate for 10 minutes.
- 2Meanwhile, combine mayonnaise, garlic and 1 tsp paprika in a small bowl, season to taste and chill until needed. Combine flour, onion powder, baking powder and remaining paprika in a bowl and season to taste.
- 3Heat 2cm oil to 180°C in a large deep saucepan. Drain chicken, then dust heavily in flour mixture, shaking off excess. Deep-fry, turning occasionally, until golden and cooked through (4-6 minutes; be careful, hot oil may spit). Remove with a slotted spoon and transfer to a wire rack over an oven tray to drain briefly.
- 4Spread mayonnaise on bases of rolls and top with cos, chicken, more mayonnaise and pickles. Sandwich with tops and serve.
Japanese mayonnaise is available from Asian grocers and select supermarkets.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- DestinationsA year-round travel guide to Austria's western AlpsYesterday 12:00am