Garfish and vegetables
- 1½ cups olive oil, for shallow-frying
- 3 small zucchini, trimmed and thinly sliced (about 100gm)
- 1 eggplant, thinly sliced (about 350gm)
- 12 garfish, cleaned (about 1 kg)
- 1 telegraph cucumber
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 cups Greek-style yoghurt
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 160 gm fine burghul (cracked wheat), soaked in cold water for 30 minutes, then drained (1 cup)
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp each mint, dill and flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1½ lemons, juice only
- ½ cup olive oil
Black-eyed bean salad
- 400 gm black-eyed beans (2 cups)
- 2 kipfler potatoes , peeled (about 120 gm)
- 1 tbsp flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1For black-eyed bean salad, place beans and potatoes in a saucepan, cover with cold water and simmer for 20-30 minutes or until tender. Drain and cool. Coarsely chop potatoes and place in a bowl with beans, parsley and olive oil, then season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper and combine well. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- 2Meanwhile, for tzatziki, coarsely grate cucumber and place in a colander, weighted down with a plate, for 15 minutes to drain liquid. Place cucumber in a piece of muslin or a tea towel and squeeze remaining liquid out. Place garlic and a large pinch of sea salt in a mortar and, using a pestle, pound until a paste forms. Process cucumber, garlic, yoghurt, vinegar and ground black pepper to taste in a food processor until smooth, then, with motor running, slowly add oil until well combined. Alternatively, place all ingredients in a bowl and stir to combine. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. Makes about 3 cups.
- 3For burghul salad, combine all ingredients in a bowl, cover and refrigerate until required.
- 4Heat oil in a large frying pan and shallow-fry zucchini and eggplant, in batches, until golden and tender, then drain on absorbent paper.
- 5Season garfish to taste, then heat 1 tbsp oil in a large frying pan and pan-fry fish, in batches, over medium-high heat for 3 minutes on each side or until just cooked through. Serve garfish with fried vegetables, tzatziki, and burgul and black-eyed bean salads, passed separately.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesBeef koftas with green couscous and pistachio nutsYesterday 12:00am