- 370 gm (2 cups) tapioca pearls
- 650 ml coconut milk
- 45 gm light palm sugar, crushed, plus extra to serve
- 4 nectarines, halved and stones removed
- Juice of 2 limes
- For brushing: olive oil
- To serve: coconut chips
- 1Bring a saucepan of water to the boil. Add tapioca and stir until water returns to the boil, then continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until pearls are translucent (10-15 minutes). Drain in a fine sieve and rinse under cold running water, then drain well and place in a bowl. Add coconut milk, sugar and 1 tsp sea salt flakes and stir to combine. Refrigerate until required (see note).
- 2Meanwhile, heat a barbecue to high heat. Brush nectarines with olive oil, then grill cut-side down, resisting the urge to lift too early, until golden-brown (1-2 minutes), then turn and cook until warmed through (1-2 minutes). Transfer to a plate. Sprinkle with lime juice and palm sugar and serve with coconut tapioca and coconut chips.
Tapioca is rich in starch, so it will continue to thicken and set; if it becomes too thick, stir in a little extra coconut milk to loosen.