The classic sloppy Joe is essentially mince on toast in sandwich form. Here, with the addition of mozzarella and pickles, we've gone for more of a sloppy Giuseppe.
- 40 ml olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped, plus 1 extra halved
- 500 gm coarsely minced beef
- 350 ml tomato passata
- 250 ml beef stock (1 cup)
- 2 tbsp coarsely chopped oregano
- 2 tsp dark brown sugar
- 1 tsp dried chilli flakes
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 4-6 large bread rolls, halved
- 2 buffalo mozzarella balls (125gm each), thinly sliced
- Sliced pickled chillies and large rocket leaves, to serve
- 1Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over high heat, add onion and chopped garlic and sauté until golden (2-3 minutes). Add beef and brown well, breaking up lumps with a wooden spoon (2-3 minutes). Add passata, stock, oregano, sugar, chilli flakes and fennel seeds, season to taste and simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened and well flavoured (8-10 minutes). Stir in vinegar and season to taste.
- 2Meanwhile, preheat grill to high and toast rolls cut sides up on an oven tray (1-2 minutes). Rub the top halves with cut sides of halved garlic. Top the bases with mozzarella slices and grill until melted (1-2 minutes). Spoon meat over melted cheese, top with pickles and rocket, sandwich with tops and serve.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Restaurant NewsSurf’s up: Three Blue Ducks is coming to MelbourneYesterday 11:00pm