Ribbons of fresh egg linguine relaxing in a homemade chilli oil with zesty lemon and rocket is an easy, tasty option for weeknight dinner. This chilli oil is a take on a recipe by chef Sean Moran of Sean's in Bondi – you can make it in advance (it will keep in the fridge for a week) or use a good shop-bought version.
- 2 long red chillies, seeds removed and finely chopped
- 125 ml (½ cup) olive oil
- 500 gm fresh linguine
- Juice of ½ lemon (or to taste)
- 170 gm rocket, shredded
- 75 gm finely grated parmesan, plus extra to serve
- 1Stir chilli and oil in a frying pan over medium heat until soft and fragrant (10 minutes), then carefully transfer to a small container and blend with a hand-held blender until oil is bright orange.
- 2Cook linguine in a large saucepan of boiling salted water until al dente (1½-2 minutes). Transfer to chilli-oil frying pan with tongs (the attached water will help loosen the sauce; reserve remaining in saucepan).
- 3Add lemon juice, rocket and parmesan to linguine, then add chilli oil to taste. Toss to combine, loosening sauce with a small amount of pasta water if needed. Top with extra parmesan to serve.