This dish works well with grilled tortillas or steamed rice. The trick here is to get the grill smoking hot before you start to prevent the fish from sticking.
- 4 yellowtail or blue mackerel
- 2 oranges, sliced, plus juice of 1 extra
- 1 jicama, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 white onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup coriander, coarsely chopped
- 60 ml extra-virgin olive oil (1/4 cup)
- juice of ½ lemon
- cayenne pepper, to serve
- olive oil, for brushing
- 1Heat a char-grill pan over high heat. Brush mackerel with olive oil, then grill, turning once, until charred (2-3 minutes each side). Turn off heat, cover fish with a heatproof bowl and stand to cook through (2-3 minutes). Remove fillets from mackerel (discard bones), flake and set aside.
- 2Toss remaining ingredients except cayenne in a bowl, then serve topped with mackerel and cayenne pepper to taste.
Jicama is available from Asian and select greengrocers, if it's unavailable, use a mixture of white radish (daikon) and apple.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Browse All RecipesArtichoke and salted ricotta tart with salsa verdeYesterday 10:00pm