- 460 gm (2 cups) sushi rice, rinsed
- 1½ tsp matcha (see note)
- 90 ml rice vinegar
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 70 ml grapeseed oil
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1½ Lebanese cucumbers, seeds removed, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp pickled ginger, cut into julienne
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 200 gm smoked trout, coarsely flaked
- To serve: roasted sesame seeds
- 1Bring rice, matcha, 600ml cold water and a pinch of salt to the boil in a saucepan over high heat and boil for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally,. Cover with a lid, reduce heat to low and simmer without uncovering for 8 minutes. Remove from heat. Combine 50ml vinegar and sugar in a bowl, drizzle over rice, cover and set aside for 5 minutes. Tip rice onto a tray and spread out to cool briefly.
- 2Whisk grapeseed oil, soy sauce, garlic and remaining vinegar in a bowl.
- 3Toss cucumber, pickled ginger, spring onion and a little dressing in a bowl to coat.
- 4Serve matcha rice topped with trout, cucumber salad, sesame seeds and extra dressing.
Note Matcha, a powdered green tea, is available from Japanese supermarkets.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesCasarecce with pork sausage, cavolo nero and chilliYesterday 6:00am