Mussels cooked in white wine, with onion and herbs is a classic flavour combination. Here, risoni soaks up all the delicious juices, making it a complete one-pan dish.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ white onion, diced
- 125 ml dry white wine
- 1 kg mussels, scrubbed and debearded
- 400 ml chicken stock
- 220 gm (1 cup) risoni
- Handful torn parsley and basil combined
- Finely grated zest and juice of ½ lemon
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- Crusty bread (optional)
- 1Heat oil in a large, deep frying pan with a lid over high heat, add onion and stir until softened (4-5 minutes). Add wine and mussels, then cover and shake pan occasionally until mussels open, transferring them to a bowl as they do (3-5 minutes).
- 2Add stock, risoni and 125ml water to pan. Reduce heat to medium and simmer, stirring constantly at first to prevent sticking then occasionally, until al dente (13-15 minutes).
- 3Add herbs, lemon zest and juice, and return mussels to pan. Toss to coat and combine, drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil and serve with bread.