Millet is cooked pilaf-style for this salad to add extra flavour. It makes the perfect vehicle for a lemon-laden dressing along with shreds of poached chicken and plenty of peas.
- 2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 200 gm dried millet (1 cup)
- 500 ml chicken stock (2 cups)
- 200 gm frozen peas
- 200 gm silverbeet, stalks thinly sliced, leaves finely chopped
- 120 gm broccolini, finely chopped
- 1 cup (loosely packed) mint
- 80 ml extra-virgin olive oil (⅓ cup)
- Juice of 2 lemons, or to taste
- 1-2 tbsp apple cider vinegar, or to taste
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- Coarsely chopped pistachio nuts, to serve
- 1Place chicken in a saucepan, cover with plenty of cold salted water, bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes, then take off the heat and stand for 10 minutes to finish cooking.
- 2Dry-roast millet in a saucepan over medium-high until golden (2-3 minutes). Add stock, season to taste and bring to the boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and cook without uncovering for 15 minutes. Spread millet on a tray and refrigerate to cool.
- 3Meanwhile, drain chicken and tear it into pieces. Combine in a bowl with peas, silverbeet, broccolini and mint, then add millet and toss to combine.
- 4Shake olive oil, lemon juice, vinegar and garlic in a jar to combine, season to taste and drizzle dressing over salad. Toss to coat and serve scattered with pistachio nuts.