Almond meal gives a delicious nuttiness to this polenta and parmesan crumb, which also makes a great gluten-free alternative to breadcrumbs – try it with escalopes of veal.
- 200 gm fine polenta
- 60 gm (¾ cup) finely grated parmesan
- 120 gm (1 cup) almond meal
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 4 small chicken breasts, tenderloins removed, pounded flat
- Vegetable oil, for shallow-frying
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- ½ head radicchio, coarsely shredded
- 150 gm salted butter, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely grated
- 2 tbsp coarsely chopped oregano
- 1 tbsp coarsely chopped sage
- 1 tbsp coarsely chopped thyme
- Finely grated rind of 1 lemon
- 1Preheat oven to 100°C. For herb butter, melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add remaining ingredients, reduce heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally, until butter is infused with the flavour of the herbs (5 minutes). Keep warm.
- 2Combine polenta and parmesan in a bowl and season to taste. Place almond meal and eggs in separate bowls and season almond meal to taste. Dust chicken with almond meal, shake off excess, coat with egg, then press into polenta mixture to coat and place on an oven tray lined with baking paper.
- 3Heat 2cm vegetable oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat until shimmering. Fry chicken in batches, turning occasionally, until golden and cooked through (5-6 minutes). Drain on paper towels, then transfer to a wire rack set on an oven tray and keep warm while you cook remaining chicken.
- 4Whisk olive oil and vinegar in a bowl, add radicchio, season to taste and toss to coat. Cut chicken into pieces and serve with herb butter and radicchio.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesCitrus-cured salmon with horseradish cream and bagelsYesterday 11:00pm
- Fast RecipesChar-grilled capsicum salad with sherry vinaigretteYesterday 11:00pm