Lemongrass and chilli add extra fragrance and heat to this curry, which is based on ground spices rather than a paste. The better the curry powder, the better the result.
- 50 ml neutral-flavoured oil, such as vegetable oil
- ½ onion, finely diced
- 1 tbsp Malay-style curry powder (see note)
- 1 tsp shrimp paste 2 birdseye chillies, finely chopped (or to taste)
- 2 lemongrass stalks, halved and white part bruised
- 600 ml coconut milk
- 3 tsp fish sauce (or to taste)
- 600 gm green prawns, peeled, deveined, tails intact
- Sliced spring onion, to serve
- Steamed jasmine rice, to serve
- 1Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat, add onion and stir occasionally, until softened (5-6 minutes). Add curry powder and shrimp paste and stir until fragrant (20-30 seconds). Add chilli and lemongrass, stir until fragrant, then stir in coconut milk and fish sauce, season to taste and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low, simmer until well flavoured (5 minutes), then add prawns and simmer until just cooked (4-5 minutes).
- 2Scatter curry with spring onion and serve with rice.
Malay-style curry powder is available from herbies.com.au and select delicatessens.