- 50 ml olive oil
- ½ onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 baby fennel bulbs, thinly sliced on a mandolin, fronds reserved
- 250 gm cherry tomatoes, halved
- 250 ml (1 cup) dry white wine
- Finely grated rind and juice of 1 lemon, plus 1 lemon extra for acidulated water
- 24 peeled medium uncooked prawns, tails on
- ¼ cup coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 500 ml (2 cups) milk
- 180 gm instant polenta
- 30 gm butter, coarsely chopped
- 1Heat oil in a large wide saucepan over medium-high heat, add onion, garlic and three-quarters of the fennel (reserve remaining fennel in iced acidulated water) and stir occasionally until tender (4-5 minutes). Add tomato, wine and lemon rind and simmer until reduced by half (4-5 minutes). Add prawns, simmer until just opaque (1-2 minutes), add lemon juice and parsley, season to taste and keep warm.
- 2Meanwhile, for soft polenta, bring milk and 500ml water to the boil in a saucepan over medium-high heat, add polenta in a thin steady stream, whisking continuously, and whisk until thick (2-3 minutes). Add butter, season generously to taste and whisk to combine. Serve polenta hot, topped with prawn mixture and reserved fennel.