This brittle has an addictive salty-sweet crunch from the pretzels, but try using nuts with a touch of salt, too. Smash it into pieces and serve it over ice-cream – it's a tough dessert to beat.
- Vegetable oil, for brushing
- 140 gm salted pretzels
- 330 gm (1½ cups) caster sugar
- 85 gm butter, chopped
- 60 gm rice malt syrup
- Vanilla-bean or chocolate ice-cream, to serve
- 1Brush an oven tray with oil and scatter with pretzels (they can overlap a little).
- 2Combine sugar, butter, rice malt syrup and 140ml water in a saucepan over high heat and cook, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking, until golden and caramelised (10-12 minutes; be careful, hot caramel will spit). Add ½ tsp salt flakes, or to taste, then pour onto prepared tray, covering as many pretzels as possible. Cool for 15 minutes until set. When cool, break into shards and serve with ice-cream. Brittle will keep in an airtight container for 2-3 days.