Cooking the leek in the sopressa oil adds extra flavour to this Italianate spin on a bacon and egg roll. If spice isn't your thing, use flat pancetta in place of sopressa.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 16 large slices spicy sopressa
- 1 leek, halved lengthways and thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely grated
- 10 eggs
- 2 tbsp finely chopped sage
- ⅓ cup finely grated parmesan (20gm)
- 4 ciabatta rolls, halved and toasted
- Aïoli, rocket and pickled green chillies, to serve
- 1Preheat oven to 160°C. Heat oil in a large ovenproof frying pan over medium-high heat, add sopressa and fry, turning occasionally, until crisp (1-2 minutes). Drain on paper towels.
- 2Reduce heat to medium, add leek and garlic, season to taste, and fry until translucent (3-4 minutes). Meanwhile, whisk eggs, sage and parmesan in a bowl and season to taste. Pour into pan and cook without stirring until starting to set around edges (2-3 minutes). Transfer pan to oven and bake until set (2-3 minutes). Cool briefly, invert or slide onto a board and cut into 8 wedges.
- 3Spread ciabatta bases with aïoli, top with frittata, sopressa, and rocket, season to taste, and sandwich with ciabatta tops. Serve with pickled chillies.