Baked eggs are equally as good for breakfast, lunch or dinner. This quick fried mixture of cumin, garlic, capsicum, onion and puréed tomatoes make an ideal spicy sauce to bake eggs in. The Persian feta is a must.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp cumin seeds, coarsely crushed
- ¾ red capsicum, cored and diced
- ½ Spanish onion, diced
- 1 garlic cove, crushed
- 250 gm tomato polpa
- 4 eggs
- To serve: Persian feta, coarsely chopped coriander, thinly sliced pickled chillies, sumac and toasted flatbread
- 1Preheat oven to 230C. Heat oil in a 22cm frying pan over medium-high heat, add cumin and stir until fragrant (5 seconds). Add capsicum, onion and garlic and stir until softened and onion is translucent (4-6 minutes). Add tomato polpa, season to taste and bring to a simmer. Using a spoon and working quickly with an egg at a time, form 4 wells in the sauce spaced evenly around the pan and crack an egg into each, bring back to a simmer, then transfer pan to oven and bake until eggs are cooked to your liking (7-8 minutes for soft yolks). Scatter with feta, coriander, chilli and sumac to taste and serve with toast.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- DestinationsThe best places to visit in Queenstown, New ZealandYesterday 2:30am