- 400 gm (about 2/3 loaf) ciabatta, halved horizontally
- For brushing: olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, halved
- 80 gm pecorino, finely grated
- 400 gm peas, podded or frozen
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- Juice and finely grated rind of 1 lemon
- 60 ml (¼ cup) extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ cup (loosely packed) mint, coarsely chopped
- 1Preheat a char-grill pan over high heat. Brush both sides of ciabatta with olive oil and grill, turning once, until charred and golden (2-3 minutes each side).
- 2For smashed peas, blanch peas until tender and bright green (2-3 minutes for fresh and 1-2 minutes for defrosted frozen). Drain well, transfer to a bowl, add a generous pinch of sea salt and coarsely crush with a fork. Add remaining ingredients and check seasoning.
- 3To serve, rub warm grilled ciabatta with cut garlic, top with smashed peas and pecorino, then drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil and season with cracked black pepper.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- DestinationsThe best places to visit in Queenstown, New ZealandYesterday 2:30am