This is a lighter take on the creamy chowder. Look for smoked streaky bacon for extra depth of flavour.
- 6 rashers smoked streaky bacon, rind removed, cut into 1cm pieces
- 30 gm butter, coarsely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 leek (white part only), finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 Desiree potatoes, cut into 1cm dice
- 750 ml chicken stock (3 cups)
- 2 corn cobs, kernels removed
- 50 gm sour cream
- Coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley, to serve
- 1Heat butter in a frying pan over medium heat,add bacon and fry until crisp. Remove from pan with a slotted spoon, add onion, leek and garlic to pan and sauté until softened, (3-5 minutes). Add potato and stock, bring to a simmer, and cook until potato is tender (12-15 minutes). Add corn, bring to a simmer and cook until bright yellow and tender (2-3 minutes).
- 2Blend briefly with a stick blender, stir in sour cream, and serve topped with bacon and parsley.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- DestinationsMargaret River travel guide: the best places to eatYesterday 10:48pm