This salad is a super-fast and simple way to counter Christmas overindulgence. Swap the smoked trout for a couple of generous slices of Christmas ham after the big day celebrations.
- 4 eggs, at room temperature
- 2 small carrots, coarsely grated
- 1 small beetroot, coarsely grated
- ½ cup coarsely chopped mint
- ½ cup coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 350 gm smoked trout, flaked into chunks
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 tsp horseradish cream
- ½ tsp Dijon mustard
- 60 ml olive oil (1/4 cup)
- 1Cook eggs in a saucepan of boiling water to your liking (6 minutes for soft-boiled). Drain, refresh, peel and halve.
- 2For horseradish dressing, whisk ingredients in a bowl and season to taste.
- 3Combine carrot, beetroot and herbs in a bowl, drizzle with half the dressing, season to taste and toss to combine. Divide salad among plates, top with egg halves and trout, drizzle with remaining dressing and serve.