- 500 gm (about 2 bunches) spinach, trimmed
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 1 tsp each fennel seeds, cumin seeds, celery seeds, aniseed and caraway seeds
- ½ tsp hot paprika
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 4 1.5cm-thick swordfish steaks (about 200gm each), skinned
- To serve: lemon wedges
- 1Bring a saucepan of water to the boil, add spinach and simmer for 15 minutes or until soft. Drain well, squeezing to remove excess liquid, place in a bowl and cool. Pour over 1½ tbsp olive oil and lemon juice, season to taste with sea salt and black pepper and combine well.
- 2Place spices in a mortar and, using a pestle, pound until finely ground. Combine spices and flour and season to taste. Coat fish, both sides, with spice mixture and leave for 2-3 minutes.
- 3Heat 1½ tbsp olive oil in a large frying pan and cook fish, in batches if necessary, over medium heat for 5-7 minutes on each side or until golden and tender. Divide spinach among plates, top with fish and serve immediately with lemon wedges.
Drink Suggestion: Tangy, full-flavoured, crisp white such as a dry gewürztraminer.