- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 125 ml sweet sherry
- 4 1.5cm-thick slices of brioche (120gm, about ½ loaf), crusts removed, quartered, or sponge cake
- 250 gm strawberries, hulled and quartered
- 4 amaretti, finely chopped
- 60 gm flaked almonds, toasted
- 200 ml pouring cream, softly whipped
- 800 ml milk
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthways
- 8 egg yolks
- 110 gm caster sugar (½ cup)
- 1For custard, place milk, scraped seeds from vanilla bean and bean in a saucepan and bring almost to the boil. Whisk egg yolks and sugar in a bowl until well combined, then gradually pour in milk mixture until well combined. Return mixture to same pan and stir over low-medium heat until mixture thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon. Do not boil. Transfer to a bowl, discard vanilla bean, cover closely with plastic wrap and cool to room temperature, then refrigerate until chilled, or for up 2 days.
- 2Place sugar in a bowl, add 2 tbsp boiling water, stir until dissolved, then stir in sherry. Place brioche in a flat dish, drizzle with sherry mixture, turning to soak completely.
- 3Place a piece of brioche in the base of a 150ml glass or small bowl, scatter with some strawberries, then pour in approximately ¼ cup custard, sprinkle with a little chopped amaretti and almonds. Top with 2 pieces of brioche, some strawberries, cream and nuts. Repeat with remaining brioche, strawberries, custard, amaretti and almonds, then serve immediately or refrigerate for up to 1 day.
Drink Suggestion: Unsmoked black tea such as China keemun.