- 750 ml verjuice or dry white wine
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 4 black peppercorns
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 3 sprigs flat-leaf parsley
- 3 chicken breast fillets
- 100 gm baby endive leaves
- 100 gm baby rocket leaves
- 1 baby cos lettuce, trimmed, washed, dried and torn into bite-sized pieces
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1 avocado, halved, seeded, peeled and cut into 1cm-thick slices
Basil salad cream
- ½ cup pouring cream
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp lemon juice, or to taste
- ¼ cup coarsely chopped basil
- 1Place verjuice, bay leaves, peppercorns and herbs in a large, deep frying pan and bring to the boil, then simmer for 3 minutes. Add chicken and simmer over very low heat for 10 minutes or until chicken is just tender. Remove pan from heat and stand, covered, for 12 minutes. Remove chicken with a slotted spoon, discard cooking liquid, then cool slightly and tear into bite-sized pieces.
- 2For basil salad cream, combine creams, mustard and lemon juice in a small bowl, season to taste and whisk to combine. Cover closely with plastic wrap and refrigerate until required. Just before serving, stir in chopped basil. Makes about ¾ cup.
- 3Place salad leaves in a large, shallow bowl or on a large plate, add olive oil and vinegar, season to taste and toss to combine, then top with avocado and chicken. Drizzle with a little basil salad cream and serve, with remaining basil salad cream passed separately.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- DestinationsThe best places to visit in Queenstown, New ZealandYesterday 2:30am