- 4 eggs, at room temperature
- 300 gm green beans
- 5 globe artichokes
- 2 lemons, halved
- 125 ml (½ cup) olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, halved
- 1 sprig thyme
- 100 gm sourdough, crusts removed, bread cut into 1cm cubes
- 100 gm butter, coarsely chopped
- 2 anchovies, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, bruised
- 3 tsp sherry vinegar
- 100 ml olive oil
- 10 anchovy fillets
- 1For poached artichokes, bring a large saucepan of salted water to the boil and remove from heat. Peel the outer green leaves from an artichoke, then peel and trim stalk to 5cm length, rubbing with a lemon half to prevent discoloration. Add to saucepan of hot water and repeat with the remaining artichokes. Squeeze lemon juice into the water and add the lemon halves. Return to medium heat, cover directly with a round of baking paper, then simmer until artichokes can be pierced with a knife easily at the heart (14-16 minutes). Drain. Drizzle artichokes with olive oil, add garlic and thyme, season to taste and refrigerate. Halve artichokes and remove hairy chokes before serving.
- 2For croûtons, combine sourdough and butter in a frying pan over medium-high heat and stir occasionally until golden (3-5 minutes), then add anchovies and garlic, and toss to combine.
- 3For anchovy dressing, blend all ingredients in a blender, and season to taste.
- 4Bring a saucepan of water to the boil and, while stirring, carefully add eggs, then cook over medium-high heat to your liking (7 minutes for soft yolks). Drain, then refresh in iced water to stop the cooking process. Peel, halve and set aside.
- 5Blanch green beans and broad beans in boiling salted water until just tender (2 minutes). Drain, then refresh in iced water. Drain again.
- 6Combine artichokes, green beans, broad beans, endive, croûtons and micro-cress in a bowl. Drizzle with dressing, toss to combine and season to taste. Transfer to plates, top with egg and serve.
Drink Suggestion: Jura savagnin. Drink suggestion by Max Allen