Baby whitebait is often available frozen, but sometimes you can find it fresh. These fritters are great with plenty of extra lemon juice squeezed over them.
- 250 gm frozen baby whitebait, defrosted
- 50 gm cornflour
- 2 lemons, finely grated rind only
Rosemary and anchovy sauce
- 1 cup (firmly packed) flat-leaf parsley
- ½ cup (firmly packed) rosemary leaves
- 185 ml (¾ cup) extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 anchovy fillets
- 1 garlic clove, coarsely chopped
- 1 lemon, finely grated rind and juice only
- 1For rosemary and anchovy sauce, process ingredients in a food processor until smooth, season to taste and set aside.
- 2Place whitebait in a bowl, sift over cornflour, add lemon rind, season to taste, toss to combine and coat. Heat 1cm oil in a deep-sided frying pan over medium-high heat and cook packed tablespoons of whitebait mixture in batches, turning once, until crisp and golden (2-3 minutes each side). Drain on absorbent paper, serve hot with rosemary and anchovy sauce.
Drink Suggestion: Vermentino. Drink suggestion by Max Allen