Here's a great way to bring stout into cooking. This recipe would work equally well with chicken thighs with the bone in or drumsticks. Serve it with steamed rice, lime wedges and extra thinly sliced red chilli.
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 chicken (about 1.7kg), jointed, or 8 chicken thighs, skin on, bone-in
- 150 ml stout
- 100 ml Shaoxing wine
- 100 ml soy sauce
- 40 gm rock sugar, crushed (see note)
- 20 gm piece ginger, sliced thinly
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 spring onions, cut into 5cm batons
- 2 long red chillies, split lengthways
- 1 star anise
- ½ bunch garlic chives, cut into batons
- ½ cup (loosely packed) coriander
- 1Heat sesame oil in a large casserole over medium heat, add chicken pieces and cook, turning occasionally, until browned (5-7 minutes). Add stout, Shaoxing wine, soy sauce, sugar, ginger, garlic, spring onion, chilli, star anise and 150ml water, bring to the simmer, then reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until chicken is just cooked through (25-30 minutes). Remove lid and simmer until liquid reduces and chicken is very tender (45 minutes to 1 hour). Season to taste, scatter with garlic chives and coriander, and serve hot.
Note Rock sugar is available from Asian grocers.