- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 3 red shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 small red chillies, thinly sliced, or to taste, plus extra to serve
- 500 ml (2 cups) beef stock
- 70 ml fish sauce
- 50 gm light palm sugar, finely chopped
- 6 kaffir lime leaves, crushed in your hand
- 4 coriander stalks, leaves reserved to serve
- 2 lemongrass stalks (white part only), bruised
- 10 gm dried shiitake mushrooms, soaked in boiling water for 30 minutes, drained, large shiitakes halved
- 950 ml canned coconut milk
- 8 beef short ribs
- 50 gm enoki mushrooms
- Juice of 1 lime, or to taste, plus wedges to serve
- 170 gm (1 cup) Thai red rice, rinsed
- To serve: fried shallots
- 1Preheat oven to 160C. Heat half the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat, add shallot, garlic and chilli and fry, stirring occasionally, until tender and shallot is translucent (4-5 minutes). Add stock, fish sauce, palm sugar, lime leaves, herbs, shiitakes and 600ml coconut milk and simmer for flavours to infuse (6-8 minutes).
- 2Heat remaining oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat, add ribs and brown well all over (2-3 minutes). Transfer to a roasting pan to fit snugly in a single layer. Add coconut milk mixture, cover with foil and braise in oven until meat falls from the bone (3½-4 hours). Stir in enoki and lime juice; adjust seasoning with lime juice, fish sauce and palm sugar for a sour, salty, sweet balance.
- 3Meanwhile, combine rice in a saucepan with remaining coconut milk, 50ml cold water and 1 tsp sea salt. Bring to the boil over medium-high heat, cover with a lid, reduce heat to low and cook until rice is tender and liquid absorbed (25-30 minutes). Remove from heat and stand covered to steam for 10 minutes. Serve with ribs and braising liquid, scattered with coriander, fried shallots and chilli.
Drink Suggestion: Earthy Rhône grenache. Drink suggestion by Max Allen
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Travel NewsNew art collections and shows worth travelling forYesterday 5:58am
- Food NewsGourmet Traveller taste tests McDonald’s Wagyu Beef BurgerYesterday 12:35am